Thursday, October 16, 2014

Let's Get This Party Started!

Hi! This blog is for moms with postpartum depression, specifically moms who live in Pasadena, California and the greater Los Angeles area. This group originally started on Meetup, but I thought I needed to do something else to reach more moms in need of support.

This group is a community of moms who have or had postpartum depression. It is a way for moms with PPD in the Pasadena area to meet each other. To spend time together. To talk about the issues we face. The battles we have fought.

Postpartum depression is a very lonely, isolating illness. When I had it, I though I was the Worst Mother In the History of the World. No other mom had every felt as shitty as I did. No other mom had ever been such a failure.

But I was not alone! Postpartum depression is very, very common. One out of seven moms get it! But most of us do not get the help we need.

I want every community to have a group like this, where moms can get together at parks and coffee shops and share their experiences with PPD. I would eventually like to start a nonprofit... but right now, that seems a bit overwhelming. 

So I am starting here. With this blog, which will hopefully become the blog for a nonprofit. And I'm starting in Pasadena, and hopefully in ten years, there will be gatherings for everyone in the greater Los Angeles area. (And California! And the United States! And heck, the world!)

I am not a psychiatrist. I am not a psychologist or therapist of any sort. I am just a mom who had postpartum depression who wants to spend time with other moms who have or had postpartum depression.

No comments:

Post a Comment